Our Company Blog

We’re Now in Bellevue!

At Pristine Sweeps, we have been proudly serving the Seattle area since 2008. With the service of over 2000 chimneys under our belt, we are proud to announce our company’s expansion!

We will soon be opening a new location in Bellevue, Washington. Our new offices will be located at 12247 SE 55th Place in Bellevue, and our Bellevue office can be reached at (425) 326-1911. We are extremely excited to begin serving the Bellevue area and showing our new customers all that Pristine Sweeps has to offer.

pristine-sweeps-bellevue-location-logo-bellevue-wa-pristine-sweeps

About us

Founded by owner Aaron Woodward in 2008, Pristine Sweeps was founded with the mission statement “to provide superior service and ensure safety through our knowledge, education & integrity.” Because of our dedication to staying current on the newest trends in the industry, we are able to give our customers top-notch service while also helping them to learn about their own chimney systems.

Our dedication to service and education has also earned us the Angie’s List Super Service Award in 2010, 2011, and again in 2013. We take the time to work with our customers, helping them to understand the work that is being done as well as any issues that may be found. We know that education our friends, neighbors, and customers will better care for their fireplaces and chimneys in the time between sweepings and inspections.

Our services

At Pristine Sweeps we strive to provide our customers with the best possible quality service and craftsmanship. We are proud to offer our customers a wide variety of fireplace and masonry services, as well as the sale and installation of quality stoves, fireplaces, and inserts.

In addition to sweeping and inspecting your chimney, our certified technicians are experts at troubleshooting chimney systems, identifying the causes of long term issues such as foul odors, leaks and water entry, or drafts. In addition, our masons can make a wide variety of chimney repairs designed to stand up against the over 37 inches of rain we receive each year.

In addition to our chimney and fireplace service and sales, Pristine Sweeps also provides dryer vent cleaning services. With over 17,000 house fires caused by blocked dryer vents each year, homeowners should consider adding dryer vent cleanings to their list of annual services.

The Pristine Sweeps difference

There are several things that set us apart from our competitors, but the most important is our desire to be the most highly qualify and highly educated chimney sweep company in the area. By focusing on continuing education, we are able to stay up-to-date with the most cutting edge technology and safety information in the industry. We take advantage of any available resources, including guilds, certifications, and trainings. We are:

Whether you are in the Bellevue or Seattle areas, contact Pristine Sweeps today to work with a top-notch company dedicated to excellent customer service. We look forward to helping you with all of your fireplace and chimney needs!

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Our stoves, fireplaces, and furnaces are absolutely essential appliances during the cold months of winter. They heat our homes and allow us to stay comfortable and warm no matter the temperature outside. However, if not properly serviced and maintained they can create a serious safety hazard for you and your family.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is most often caused by malfunctioning heating appliances. It affects thousands each year and kills more than 400 people each year in the United States. However, homeowners can greatly reduce their risk of being exposed to this deadly gas by following simple safety precautions.

carbon-monoxide-poisoning-picture-seattle-wa-pristine-sweeps

What is carbon monoxide?

Often called the “silent killer” because it is clear, tasteless, and odorless, carbon monoxide is produced in almost all combustion reactions. It is a byproduct of burning coal, wood, propane, kerosene, and natural gas. Because of this, all homes should be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors on every floor, which are the only reliable way to alert you if the gas is present.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

In small amounts, carbon monoxide poisoning may present itself with flu-like symptoms including sleepiness, headache, and nausea. If exposure to the gas continues, these symptoms will continue to get worse and those exposed will begin to have diminished cognitive functioning, impaired coordination, and impaired vision. With long term exposure or in large doses, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause a coma and lead to death.

If you believe you are experiencing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately move to a fresh air location such as near an open door, window, or outdoors whenever possible. Then, call emergency services or poison control, and do not reenter the building until it has been cleared.

What causes carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a naturally occurring byproduct of many combustion reactions. Because of this, nearly all fuel burning appliances create it. However, all fuel burning appliances are designed to safely vent carbon monoxide outside and away from homeowners and their families. If these vents become blocked or the appliance is damaged, carbon monoxide may flow back into the home. Some of the most common culprits for carbon monoxide leaks are fireplaces and stoves with improperly vented or blocked flues, portable generators being used indoors, cars left running in closed garages, leaky chimneys, defective furnaces, and gas stoves being used to heat a room.

How can you prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

Although the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken seriously – especially during the heavy use periods of heating appliances during the winter months – regularly serviced and well maintained appliances pose little risk. There are also several steps homeowners can take to reduce their risk of exposure to carbon monoxide gas.

First, it is extremely important that the venting and ductwork for heating appliances is cleaned and inspected each year to ensure that it is still venting carbon monoxide correctly. Likewise, fireplaces and chimneys should be inspected to ensure that no carbon monoxide is leaking through the masonry and back into the house.

Cars should never be allowed to idle in garages, even if the door is open. Likewise, avoid using outdoor grills near doors or windows to prevent carbon monoxide from reentering the home. Finally, ovens should never be used as a way to heat a room and space heaters should be used sparingly or only if they include a way to vent through an open window.

By following these simple tips, homeowners can keep themselves and their families safe while still enjoying their heating appliances all winter long.